A few days ago, I embarked on a Rhubarb recipe quest, resulting in a savory dish, Chicken a les Herbs de Provence & Savory Rhubarb, and a sweet dish, Rhubarb-Orange Frangipane Tart, as well as a Rhubarb-Orange Compote.
The compote has a unique tangy-sweet flavour, which I thought would also pair well with some goat’s cheese, which we love to enjoy.
After a lovely day outdoors exercising, walking along the banks of the Thames and mingling with the local crowd eager to soak in as much sun as possible in London, the Sunday afternoon lent itself to being rather lazy… and what better to end the day than with a pizza night treat!
The goat’s cheese, rolled in chipotle powder, provides the spicy touch to contrast with the sweetness of the compote and complement the peppery wild rocket.
I “borrowed” the pizza crust recipe from Caveman Strong, here, and added a couple of spices of my own. I’ve tried a few Paleo pizza crusts already and sadly I am not there on any, especially not the cauliflower crusts, as the taste of the cauliflower, for me, is too strong, and the texture is never quite right. However, this coconut flour crust is quite good, rather neutral in flavour, and has a sort of bread-like texture, without being a thick pizza crust (which we do not like). And one of the best features of this crust is that it’s super easy to make and requires no special skills, like kneading or tossing the old fashioned dough!
- For the pizza crust:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- For the toppings:
- Rhubarb-Orange Compote (please see link above for the recipe)
- goat cheese, with rind, about 6 slices
- chipotle powder
- 3-4 bacon strips, fried/cooked, and cut into small pieces
- 6-8 brown, button mushrooms, sliced
- wild rocket
- For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a pizza pan and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Mix all the ingredients in a food processor or electric blender until smooth. The “dough” will be a thick paste instead of dough-like.
- Spoon the mixture onto the pizza pan and with a spatula or spoon, spread evenly and into a round or square shape, depending on the shape of your pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Top with the toppings below:
- Roll a large slice of the goats cheese in the powdered chipotle.
- Cut the cheese into slices, about 6.
- Spoon the Rhubarb-Orange Compote over the pre-cooked pizza crust, about 1/2 cup.
- Spread evenly on the crust.
- Place the goat’s cheese slices on top.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms and bacon pieces on top.
- Bake about 8 minutes until the cheese is slightly melted.
- Remove from the oven and add the wild rocket over top.
- Serve immediately.