“Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?” …
It’s that time of month again…to join in on the fun of recipe exchanges with the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop! I love the creativity and enthusiasm I find in all the participants; and very much enjoy being part of this special group.
If you’re a blogger, you too can join! Just check out the instructions at the bottom of this page for all of the information.
I’ve missed a few SABH lately and I really didn’t want to miss August’s “Cookie Monster” hop. So, I created this cookie especially for this event.
Well, we bought a box of 5kg the other day and I need to use them up! In fact, I’m making a Dutch tomato soup, by special request from my husband, tonight, and I’m blanching and freezing up the rest for later use.
- For the shortbread:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 1/4 cups ground almonds (almond flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- For the tomato jam:
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup freshly squeesed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- freshly ground rosemary (optional)
- For the shortbread:
- Place the butter and honey in the food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until a dough is formed.
- Create a ball or sausage with the dough and cover with a piece of parchment paper.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Bring out of the freezer and let stand 10 minutes before using the dough.
- On a sheet of parchment (or the same one used to freeze), roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Cut out desired shapes and transfer the cookies with a spatula to a a cookie sheet covered with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 6-8 minutes on the bottom rack. Remove from oven and let cool before touching, so they can harden.
- For the tomato jam:
- Peel the tomatoes with a sharp knife. (You can also scald them in water; but I personally find it easy to simply peel this small amount.)
- Cut the tomatoes into small chunks and place them in a medium sized pot.
- Add the honey and orange juice.
- Over low heat, cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and allow to completely cool.
- You can either keep the jam with chunks or puree it with an immersion blender for a smoother spread. Strain if desired. (I kept mine with chunks, as it gives it a more rustic feel.)
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate.
- For using the jam with the cookies, make sure you refrigerate at least an hour before applying to the cookies. Overnight is better.
- To assemble:
- Place about 2 teaspoons of the jam on a “whole” cookie.
- And place the cookie with a “hole” on top.
- Sprinkle with some ground rosemary, if desired.
- Repeat until you have completed with all the cookies.
- NOTE: You can add more flavour to these cookies for other recipes by adding in the dough one of the following, for example: rosemary, edible lavender, sesame seeds, or even chopped up nuts.
The Sweet Adventures Blog Hop, or SABH, is brought to you by 84th & 3rd and monthly Guest Hostesses.
The August 2013 ‘Cookie Monster’ hop is open for linkup until 11:59 pm, Friday 23 August [AEST Sydney time].
IMPORTANT – The instructions below cover how to link up but if you aren’t sure of something don’t hesitate to ask! Detailed instructions can be seen here. Remember, SABH is open to all food bloggers but only new posts published after the hop goes live can be linked up.
- Add a link to this post somewhere in your post. You won’t be able to link up in the hop without a ‘backlink’ to this hostess post included in your post.
- Click here for the Thumbnail List code – Copy the code and add it to the bottom of your post in HTML view.
- Click here to Enter the Hop – Make sure to do this step so you appear in the list too! Add the link to your SABH post (NOT your homepage). Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.
Use the #SABH hashtag to tell the world about your post! You can follow us on Twitter: @SweetAdvBlogHop and on Facebook /SweetAdventuresBlogHop for new hop announcements and general deliciousness. Thanks for joining!
This is a Blog Hop!