Wow! I’m having a piece of this scrumptious cake as I type. It’s quite amazing to think it has no flour, no refined sugar and no baking is required (well, only some). I follow Amy from the Fragrant Vanilla Cake blog for a while now and keep meaning to make one of her beautiful creations. In fact, I have like a million of her recipes printed out, even bought edible flowers in preparation, and just never get around to it.
However, this time, I actually had almost all the ingredients on hand, and primarily I had pumpkin! I’ve been on a pumpkin craze lately… I’ll promise this will be the penultimate (I mean last) recipe with pumpkin for the season. 😉
Here’s Amy’s original recipe, which is slightly different and a lot prettier than my creation. I made a couple of changes, but most importantly I baked the pumpkin first because I don’t like it raw. You decide for yourself which way to go.. but I do recommend trying this, as it’s delicious and healthy!
PUMPKIN CARAMEL CHEESECAKE
Ingredients, for crust:
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight
- 1 cup of raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 7 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Prepare a spring-form cake pan by greasing the inside with some olive oil or oil of preference.
Although I made the entire cake with a blender, I really think a food processor would work much better. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until the nuts are fine crumbs. If you’re using a blender, as I did, you may have to do this in steps to not burn out the motor. Transfer the mixture into the cake form and press firmly into the bottom and slightly on the sides, forming a crust. Set aside either at room temperature or in the fridge.
Ingredients, for the filling:
- 1 cup of raw cashew, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup coconut meat
- 3/4 cup water (save 1/4 cup water for gelatine)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin meat (previously baked)
- 1 packet powdered gelatine
Place all ingredients, except 1/4 cup water and gelatine, in the food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Heat the 1/4 cup water and mix with the gelatine. Add to the creamed mixture and blend well.
Pour into the crust in the prepared cake pan and refrigerate until set. I left mine overnight.
Ingredients, for the caramel topping:
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut meat (with its oil)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup water (for a thicker caramel, I would add water little by little until the desired consistency is achieved)
Place all ingredients in the blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate overnight to thicken (or place in freezer).
When the cake is set, remove from the form onto a serving plate. Pour the caramel on top and garnish as desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.