NOTE (11 July 2013): When I originally made this recipe, I tested it three times, with different combination of ingredients. On the third attempt, the recipe worked for me and held together fine, as you can see in the photographs.
Since then, a number of readers have tried the recipe with varying results, many stating that it does not set. I’ve tried making changes, adding flax, adding chia, gelatine, arrowroot…the point is, I have not yet been able to make the adjustments which creates an infallible recipe and stays true to the great flavours of the original recipe.
I asked on Facebook the other day, whether or not to keep this recipe up, and the majority who responded said to bring it back (after having unpublished it). So, here it is again, with no changes yet.
In the meantime, I will continue to experiment with this until I find the right combination of ingredients that do not alter the flavour and work right each time. Please stay tuned!
Original post follows:
A friend of mine, who is in culinary school, asked me the other day for recipes for people with allergies (no eggs, no gluten and no nuts). I offered information on egg substitutes and baking with coconut flour and nut flours, but really had no real recipe that covers all three bases.
I have been trying to develop an egg free and nut free bread for a couple of weeks. All the Paleo breads I’ve made up until now have a lot of eggs and nuts; and although it’s very healthy to eat both, of course, I don’t want to be eating them on a daily basis as part of my breakfast. I try to vary what I eat every day as much as possible, but I’m not always in the mood to cook as soon as I get up, so “bread” is always an easy thing to resort to.
Well… “insert drum roll here”…. I finally got it right! I intended it as a quick bread for brekkie, but because of the bananas, it’s much sweeter than your regular breakfast bread (although I ate it today with some “raw” blue cheese!). I think next time, I’ll make it as muffins or as a cake with a coconut frosting….yum…
Also, I think the recipe lends itself to substitutions for the bananas, such as apple sauce. So, I foresee a lot more experimenting in the future… 😉
BANANA ZUCCHINI BREAD (Nut Free, Grain Free, Egg Free, and Sweetener Free!)
- 1 1/2 cup mashed, ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, not melted, but soft
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- In a large bowl, mix the bananas, coconut oil, orange zest, vanilla extract, and cardamom. With a hand beater, beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the sea salt and baking soda and incorporate well.
- Add the coconut flour and mix well.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Pour into a loaf pan (mine is about 6×3 inches) and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool before removing from loaf pan, and to cool completely before slicing.