I wasn’t going to create a post for this, but as it may help others make a simple, nutritious and delicious breakfast, here goes…
The basis for any banana pancake that I make is simply 1 ripe banana, mashed plus 2 beaten eggs. Some recipes call for 1 egg instead, and although I’ve tried it that way, it can tend to fall apart or become more of a scramble (which can also be nice by the way).
For more firmness and less of an egg flavour, I add whatever I have on hand, such as a nut flour, flaxmeal, and/or coconut flour. I never really measure, but use approximately a tablespoon of each. When adding all three, for example, the amount of coconut flour can be reduced to a couple of teaspoons.
Play around with it and make your own creations! It’s not only fun, but a very healthy way to enjoy breakfast for the adults and kiddies alike. No sweetener is required; in fact, I oftentimes, just sprinkle cinnamon over top and nothing else. The banana, if ripe enough, will provide all the sweetness you need (for most people). 😉
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- coconut oil or fat of preference to frying
- 1 heaping tablespoon nut flour (almond, chestnut, cashew, macadamia, etc)
- 1 heaping tablespoon flaxmeal or ground flax seeds
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground sunflower seeds (these can turn green if you use baking soda with them, so it makes a fun St. Patrick’s treat!)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (totally optional)
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour (or more if using alone)
- lemon/orange zest
- additional fruit, such as berries, diced mango
- Fruit, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Thoroughly mash the banana in a bowl or dish.
- Beat the eggs and add to the banana.
- Mix well.
- Add the nut flour(s), flax and/or coconut flour and any additions you want to incorporate. Just make sure you still have a relatively liquid “dough”.
- Grease the bottom of the skillet with coconut oil, butter or fat of preference.
- Pour the pancake mixture in spoonfuls onto the pan (make the size you desire, of course).
- It takes about 1-1/2 minutes to cook per side.